Friday, March 26, 2010

USA World Cup Squad

So I have been waiting a while to do this blog since Bob Bradley doesn't have to name his final team til mid May I believe. However, he is expected to name it sooner, probably toward the end of April. I just wanted to put my 2 cents in on who I think should be taken, the tactics and formation the team should use, and who should start.

I'll start with the formation since the type of formation the USA runs will determine who they will take and the number of players at each position (total of 23 players can be named). The formation I like is that of Inter Milan and Arsenal. Its a 4-5-1 hybrid. The two outside mids actually get into a high attacking position when in possession and will drop back when defending. I think this formation really suits the USA because we are deep in the midfield and lean up top, though it does look like Charlie Davies will make his return in time. A flat four at the back is what the US plays already and is no different. The five in mid would not be flat but would have 2 defensive/holding mids with the players out wide and one attacking/roaming mid. And then you would have one target man up top who would be given freedom to move around but would stay more in the center.

You always bring 3 keepers to the World Cup in case of injury. Obviously Tim Howard is the number 1 and will be in South Africa. Solidly behind him is Brad Guzan. He has established himself and a solid keeper and will be the number 1 one day (possibly in the next world cup). The third spot seems to be up for grabs though Troy Perkins seems to have the lead. Whoever it is will most likely not play but still they get to go!

With this new formation you would not need as many forwards and I would only bring 3: Jozy Altidore, Charlie Davies, and Brian Ching. Ching and Altidore fit into that single target man up top very well while Davies is more of a complimentary player but can also fit the role and in other places. I personally would start Altidore and I doubt many people would debate that. Bringing only 3 strikers is a risk especially if the injury bug hits and with the doubt that does still surround Davies but I think it would be more than enough since the US has a few mids who could play up top if necessary.

Speaking of midfield, I would being 9. The US midfield is fairly deep and there are going to be some disappointed people who will be staying home. The obvious bunch would be Michael Bradley, playing in one of the defensive/holding mid positions, Landon Donovan, who could play either on the wing, as the attacking/roaming mid, or even up top as a striker, and Clint Dempsey, who I actually hate but deserves to go and can play the same roles as Donovan. These 3 are for sure going. After that is gets a little more foggy. Personally I think Ricardo Clark (def/hold mid) and Stuart Holden (left wing) both deserve to go but both have been injured and it could cause problems. Still I think they both are in the side which makes 5 total. I think Maurice Edu has showed great improvement since his return from injury and is another def/hold mid who should be selected. DeMarcus Beasley showed against Holland that he can still play and is in consideration. Jose Torres, Freddy Adu (yes I know), Sacha Kljestan, Benny Feilhaber, and Aljendro Bedoya are all fighting for the last spots. I think DeMarcus Beasley makes the squad because what he can offer down the wing which would mean only 2 spots are left. I like Torres as a holding mid but he hasn't played well for the US lately. I prefer Feilhaber to Kljestan but its really a toss up there. I think it would be Feilhaber as he can offer help on the right wing and holding mid. The final spot for me is taken by Freddy Adu. Yes he has failed to live up to the hype so far but the reason I bring him is versatility. He can play on the wing, as attacking mid, and as a striker so he gets the nod for me.

The back line is a little more straight forward. Oguchi Onyewu, Steve Cherundolo, Carlos Bocanegra, Jonathan Spector, Jay DeMerit and Heath Pierce are all for sure. I would only bring 8 defenders so only 2 spots are left. As much as I dislike Jonathan Bornstein I think he will get one of the spots. I really liked the way Clarence Goodson played against the Dutch so I would bring him but I think Chad Marshall and Jimmy Conrad will also get some consideration.

My starting lineup would be Howard in goal, Onyewu, Cherundolo, Bocanegra, and Spector as the back four, Clark and Bradley as the holding mids with Dempsey on the right, Holden on the left and Donovan in the middle, and Altidore up top. If Davies is ready to go then I would put him in Donovan's position and move Donovan to the left wing.

Well there you go, thats my opinion

No comments:

Post a Comment